Verified

Tulkarem governor threatened after trying to stop Israeli raid

06:00 Jul 31 2014 Tulkarem

Description
TULKAREM (Ma'an) -- An Israeli military official threatened the governor of a northern West Bank city on Thursday after he refused to withdraw Palestinian Authority security forces, sources close to the governor told Ma'an.

Under the policy of Israel-PA "security coordination," Palestinian security forces are not allowed to remain on the streets when the Israeli army raids areas under PA control.

When Tulkarem Governor Abdullah Kamil refused to withdraw PA forces early Thursday, an Israeli military official threatened to fire at Palestinian police with "all kinds of weapons" if they chose not to leave, the sources said.

The Israeli military official reportedly added: "Fatah is much worse than Hamas and is more extreme."

Although the mayor did not initially call on PA forces to withdraw, the forces left after Israeli troops entered the city, the sources said.

The incident highlights growing controversy around the policy of security coordination even among top PA officials, as President Mahmoud Abbas has repeatedly come under fire in recent months for complying with Israeli military dictates despite increasing levels of violence directed against Palestinians.

One of the most notable incidents occurred on June 22, when Israeli soldiers raided central Ramallah as part of a massive assault on the West Bank that killed nearly a dozen and lead to more than 1,000 arrests.

Israeli forces killed one Palestinian in the Ramallah raid, and after they withdrew Palestinian protesters attacked the PA police station and pelted security forces with rocks for their unwillingness to act in the face of the Israeli assault.

Although top PA leaders have threatened to end security coordination in response to the repeated attacks, no serious steps have been taken.

Security coordination is only applicable in Area A, the 20 percent of the West Bank where Palestinians have civil and security control. In the other 80 percent of the West Bank, Israeli forces maintain constant security control.
Credibility: UP DOWN 0
Leave a Comment
Name:
Email:
Comments:
Security Code:
17 + 9 =

Additional Reports

Israeli Missile Strikes Kill Six Palestinians, Injure Others, in the Tulkarem Refugee Camp

18:00 Nov 21, 2023

Tulkarem (Tulkarm, طولكرم ) city and Tulkarm refugee camp (مخيّم طولكرم), 0.1 Kms

Updated: Israeli Army Kills Five Palestinians In Tulkarem

09:00 Dec 17, 2023

Nur Shams ((مخيّم نور شمس) refugee camp, Iktaba (إكتابا, Ektaba) and Tulkarm (مخيّم طولكرم refugee camp), 0.22 Kms

Israel Releases A Wounded Young Woman After Four Moths In Detention

12:00 Nov 11, 2016

Jabara military roadblock near Tulkarem, 0.29 Kms

Palestinian youth shot, injured near Tulkarem-area checkpoint

12:00 Jan 30, 2017

Jabara checkpoint in Tulkarem district (exact coordinates unknown at this time), 0.42 Kms

Updated: Israeli Army Bombs a Home, Kills Three Palestinians, in the Nur Shams Refugee Camp

06:00 Feb 07, 2024

Tulkarem (Tulkarm, طولكرم ) and Nur Shams Refugee camp (مخيّم نور شمس), 0.46 Kms