Verified

Israel reopens Nablus checkpoints after shooting

08:00 Jun 25 2013 near Huwara checkpoint

Description
Published today (updated) 25/06/2013 09:22

NABLUS (Ma'an) -- The Israeli army reopened all checkpoints in Nablus Tuesday morning after a 30-minute closure in response to gun fire at an Israeli settler bus.

The Israeli army said shots were fired toward a bus near the Huwara checkpoint in southern Nablus, and that bullet shells had been recovered at the scene. The army is searching for the suspect, a spokeswoman said.

Caretaker Prime Minister Rami Hamdallah's convoy was stopped during the closure at the Zatara checkpoint for 30 minutes, a source told Ma'an.

The army neither confirmed nor denied that Hamdallah's convoy was stopped, saying "we have no way of knowing."

A Ma'an correspondent said the closure caused a severe backlog of traffic from Nablus and Zatara to Ramallah. Residents are being investigated in the search for the suspect, the correspondent said.

The Israeli army spokeswoman said the all checkpoints were now operating as normal.

No injuries were reported in the incident.
Credibility: UP DOWN 0
Leave a Comment
Name:
Email:
Comments:
Security Code:
16 + 9 =